Wednesday, September 22, 2010

misinterpretation

I think texting is a great invention and is extremely convenient, however, I also think it takes away from the value of standing in front of another human being and actually getting to see their emotional response and their reaction to what you are saying. Today for instance, I got into an actual "fight" via text messaging because my guy friend misinterpreted what I wrote and thought I was mad at him. We literally were yelling (bold and using all caps) at each other! I realize if you know someone pretty well you can gauge how they would normally react, but sometimes it's hard. I just think that texting has spread like a virus and is slowing infecting everyone. I realize we probably will not stop talking to one another, I just hate how hard it is to read and interpret a message through text. Sure you can add a winky emoticon or in parenthesis write that you are being sarcastic or whatever emotion you want to convey. I just think it is not personal and a somewhat "cheap" way of communicating with another person.

On another side note: Today in class I found it interesting when we were discussing about visualization. The concept is interesting to me. If you visualize something what do you get out of it? I was once told to visualize getting a perfect score on the GRE's and it would improve how I took the exam (I have not taken it yet, but plan to and have been visualizing a perfect score). I think the power behind the process is extremely strong and can actually help achieve a goal. What are your personal thoughts on this? Do you guys think visualization works?

Also visualization in the way others perceive one another and also how you want to be perceived is an interesting topic to me as well. Why do we choose the best photo of us, or the best way to say something, or the outfit we're going to ware. Does that really matter? YES! It 100 percent matters! I believe that we do it to be seen in a "certain light" if you will. Everyone wants to be seen in a certain way whether it be perfect or unique...and it makes me wonder why is individuality so important to us, when we insist on being the "same." I discussed this in my public sphere's writing class the other day and thought it would be good to share it with everyone. Why do we insist on making our facebook profiles unique and different yet we try to also are conforming to the norm by even having a facebook. Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I have heard a lot about this "visualization" concept. It seems really interesting....Oprah devoted several segments to it by promoting that book The Secret, which tells people they should visualize things and in return they will get what they hope for. I don't think it's really as magical as it sounds but I bet it does work to an extent because it does transform your attitude and makes the goal seem attainable....maybe I'll try it when I take the GRE! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about texting being a “cheap” form of communication. One night this weekend I crashed on my friends’ couch. One of them came in, very drunk, around 4:30am and starting screaming at me over a misunderstanding. I ignored him because I was tired and knew I wouldn’t get through to him at that point. Then he went to him room and proceeded his argument by calling me from literally a few feet away, I of course did not pick up. The next morning I got out of there as soon as possible and received an apology text later that night. I just felt like he thought it was justified, but I would’ve preferred to hear him apologize for his frightening, aggressive behavior in person. The text seemed like a cheap way out of confrontation, but I still responded the message saying I thought it would be best if we clear things up in person. I’ll see if that works.
    I also have heard about visualization and Oprah’s promoted book The Secret, and I believe in it to a certain extent. I’m not very religious but I’ve seen how faith can be a powerful tool, because it makes people more driven and feel more capable of reaching their goals. Through visualization people seem to gain confidence to do things so I understand why it works. Although, I wonder how well it can work, I think I’ll try it—can’t hurt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all of this stuff is really interesting. What really caught my attention, and this relates to the visualization thing I guess, was the idea of making your Wii resemble your actual body type. On one side, I think having a form of your ideal self projected on a screen could motivate people to change their image. On the other hand though, I personally would find it difficult to look at a short, round cartoon figure and feel motivated to exercise. Maybe that's just me, but it seems kind of unrealistic.

    I actually haven't heard of this book that Oprah's been promoting (surprising because I'm a big fan), but it sounds really interesting. Religion also has never played a big part in my life so I can't really relate to being able to visualize a higher power for life guidance. However, I find it intriguing that this works for other people and makes me think that maybe I'm missing out on something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting comments...before spending too much time visualizing something and hoping it will come true, I recommend reading some of the research lit on this topic. Simply visualizing something as being real will NOT make it happen. (Otherwise, there would be unicorns roaming the earth, and I'd have won the megamillions lottery.) However, I am pretty sure that visualizing yourself performing behaviors can increase the probability you'll do them, and maybe even help you improve when you do them. Think about what an actor does when rehearsing for a play, or how the dancers on "Dancing with the Stars" or athletes envision themselves performing the movements they need to do. It's like mentally rehearsing them. Makes sense this would improve performance when it goes to actually doing the behaviors.

    As far as "The Secret" goes - use your critical thinking skills! Buyer beware....

    ReplyDelete