Sunday, October 31, 2010

Facebook and Bing? What next?

So this post goes along with the discussion we have had multiple times in regards to how the internet is always changing and various privacy issues are constantly being examined. I came across this article about the plans for Bing (a microsoft search engine) and Facebook to now link the two sites together. http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20019508-265.html?tag=mncol;mlt_related

I was a little unsure of what exactly this new merge of the search engine Bing with Facebook "likes" by your friends means. What I took from this article was that when a person with a facebook account uses Bing to search something, their facebook friend's "like's" will come up as the first results if it is what their searching for. But please correct me if you understood exactly what this article was saying! While the article is a little confusing, it got me thinking about some important points we have talked about before that relate back to the privacy aspect on the internet and social network sites.

After reading this article what are your thoughts about this? Do you think this is a good move, or are there more negatives than positives? I cannot really tell if I think this will irritate me or just be another way social networking sites are taking over and connecting everything people do on the internet. I personally do not use Bing, but I think this move will make it more competition for Google.

Other thoughts of mine while reading this were about the vague language and often ambigious explanations about general use/privacy of the internet, what information is exactly shared, if people are aware of this and so on. I think that there are some neat aspects to including social networks with searches, but if after reading this article multiple times, I still do not feel like I truly understand what it is attempting to say, it somewhat worries me. It got me thinking about how there really is no accurate consensus about what information is shared online and if people are truly aware of the implications of using all sorts of internet sites.

On a side note, if you scroll down to the comments portion of the article, it completely supports our previous discussions about how people tend to be very straightforward and at times rude when they respond anonymously to internet articles, blogs, etc. Some people think this will be a great thing, while others bring up their concerns about privacy and so forth. I just thought it was interesting!

I hope you guys found this interesting! Sorry if its a little boring, its my first post :)

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting to me. Sometimes while on FB I get annoyed about seeing what everyone "liked" on their site. What is the point of "liking" something? Is it just another way for people to get to know more about you or something? Sometimes I'm not sure...

    It is an interesting move to merge these two together. I think it allows people to be in the "friends" (either in real life, or just on FB) business more. And it seems to me as well Amanda that they might not have a choice. But as much as I can gather if you decided to "like" something on FB or do anything else for that matter- then you are giving up your rights to privacy regarding it.

    I thought this quote was interesting from the article...
    "We want to make social people first-class citizens of the search experience," he (president of Microsoft) said. How interesting that they are acknowledging that those who are social and more extroverted on the internet will be served more by this experience.

    I can't decide if this would bother me either. Sometimes I just want things to be simple on the internet. I work better when I can type something in and have searches come up. It seems like every time I log on to the internet something else has changed!

    ReplyDelete