Friday, October 8, 2010

Privacy

Ok, so this might not be directly related to anything we have talked about in class, but I think it is an important topic regarding the internet: privacy. I saw this on CNN yesterday... a story about a Duke graduate who unfortunately sent an email about Duke athletes she had slept with and then made into a "mock thesis" regarding them and how they "rated." She then emailed all this information to a few friends and then they sent it to a few friends and then it was all over the internet. Her email had names and graphic descriptions of private moments, that now the whole world has access to. The lady on CNN said that now this is shared with families, classmates, future employers... it has big effects.

The whole video talked with a man who has written a book about privacy on the internet and it got me thinking. I am not sure I think about it that much, but things we post on the internet really can get shared with others. Pictures on facebook, emails, things we share.... WE might not share them, but if someone else gets a hold of it, who knows where it can get sent to. The man on the video discussed how we aren't educating people enough about privacy issues and the internet. And we certainly aren't telling kids the dangers and "how-to's" about being safe. I know I didn't really understand that kind of stuff, althought I knew to be smart and safe when it comes to using the internet.

Sorry, I can't get the link to the video to copy, but if you can go to cnn.com and go to NewsPulse and about half way down there is a link to the video titled "Woman's report on sex partners goes viral."

Thoughts? Did anyone share with you about the dangers of the internet? Are things out of hand or should people just be careful what they share on the internet? Do you think people have privacy and this issue in mind when they share things online?

4 comments:

  1. My parents gave me a lecture about privacy and internet safety when they first moved our home computer out of our open hallway and into a private computer room. I heard what there were saying but at that age I really don't think I followed their rules too much. I definitely spend more time thinking before posting a status nowadays because of the people I'm friends with on Facebook but if I were to look back at what I've posted in the past...I probably wasn't too wise. I really think more needs to be said to internet users, especially young adults hoping to get a job one day, about what is appropriate, what pictures will come back to haunt you, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to be pretty cautious when posting things on the internet. I definitely feel that there is not much awareness let alone even an education on privacy given to younger teens who begin using the computer. Now that I am older I understand exactly what this means, but to anyone who is even a few years younger, I am sure they have no clue what their behaviors on the internet could potentially do. At the same time, I try not to judge others actions, especially teens, when they might not know what exactly the internet is capable of revealing to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my mom explained to me that the internet could be dangerous but didn't go into detail about privacy on it. Either way I've always been pretty safe on the internet. As I got older I learned to use privacy settings better. Now, for example, I have many pictures online but I have set many albums to private, so that only I can see them. I feel like teens need more awareness about how to make personal information private online. I don't think many teens keep privacy in mind because they are more naive about this subject.
    I don't think things have gotten completely out of hand but there needs to be more awareness so that people remember to be careful about what they share on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was pretty crappy of her to post something like that online. Mostly because these guys had their actual names in there/pictures and she was referring to very specific things about their sex life, etc. I don't care if she was doing it for "educational" purposes, that is just so wrong to post something so intimate about someone else for all to see. I write and co-run the JMU branch of Her Campus Magazine and I saw an article someone did on this. http://hercampus.com/staff-blog/fk-list-how-one-co-ed-reports-her-college-hook-ups --it's crazy cause the first comment is from the current girlfriend of one of the guys on the list! You definitely don't realize that posting things like this don't just affect you and the person you're writing about but other people may be hurt too. I think my website letting this on their page was not a wise choice but nevertheless, there is the link! Other people comment about privacy and such as well.

    ReplyDelete