Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Looking NOT like yourself in Second Life




















Since you guys have been exploring Second Life and playing around with avatar appearance, I thought I would post a couple of pictures of some of my avatars. I enjoy being an animal in SL for a couple of reasons. One of them is purely practical - as an animal, you don't have to worry about whether you are dressed "right" for a particular occasion or event. You just log in, and you're ready to go! Since I don't like to spend too much time on clothes or appearance in RL either, this suits my personality in SL also.
I usually use a human avatar when I am going to doing a workshop for other faculty. I've found if people who aren't familiar with SL are learning about it, and their initial experience is that I'm an animal in SL, that tends to be all they can focus on at the beginning. So, appearing as a human (even if it's one that looks very different from me) seems to be less disconcerting for people.
In terms of how it affects my own behavior, I think that I'm a bit more friendly as an animal. I feel less constrained about approaching someone and saying hi. I mean, who would feel threatened if approached by a tiny moose? So I put on my best "tiny moose personality" and walk up to people an say hey. I also think I am a bit more of a jokester when I'm an animal as opposed to a human...but you'd have to ask my SL friends about that.
Anyone else had interesting appearance-base experiences in SL?

No comments:

Post a Comment