Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cyber Monday

I recently heard about a new version of Black Friday shopping, online! It's called Cyber Mondays and it is increasing exponentially in popularity.
Paypal which is an online paying service reported a 297% increase in mobile payment amount on this Thanksgiving Day versus last year's.
This Cyber Monday is internet merchants' big sale event distributing free shipping, captivating discounts, even free gift cards or whatever they can do to get the attention of online consumers.
Considering that Cyber Monday is the first working day after Thanksgiving, many consumers will be purchasing items at work from their offices. The article states that the National Retail Federation estimates 70.1 million people will continue doing their holiday shopping online on Cyber Monday from their office.
I also just got an iPhone over break and I have been downloading applications that my friends have told me about. Many of them are now free or cheaper due to after-Thanksgiving-discounts. Certainly my friends pointed out that even more apps will be available at a discount, tomorrow on Cyber Monday.
I find this potentially revolutionary. I feel like more and more aspects of our lives are being transferred to cyberspace. As well as shopping for anything imaginable, which is readily available with a click of a button and some personal credit card information of course.
The article states that the majority of online shoppers are men or young adults, with that in mind, do you guys think the future of shopping is online?
How much more beneficial is it for the consumer to shop online?

1 comment:

  1. I overheard my Mom and sister talking about this while I was home for break! I did not realize just how big it was going to be. All of the sites I get email updates from sent emails about the great sales and prices being offered. I have began to shop a lot more online, since being at college and away from a lot of my favorite stores. I think this is a great idea! Not only is it super convenient, fast, and easy, you dont even have to move, wait in lines and so forth. You can even have multiple sites up at once and compare prices! The one disadvantage I see is that you cant exactly try clothing on, and you might need to guess at sizes or something. But I see more positives to online shopping than negatives. I think that we will continue to see more people switching to online shopping.

    ReplyDelete