Sunday, November 14, 2010

The "Super-Logoff" on Facebook

I was looking around CNN, and found this article about privacy settings on Facebook. It talks about the idea of a "super-logoff". Instead of just simply logging off when you're done, people have started deactivating their accounts when they're not on the site. When you deactivate your account, it not only logs you out but keeps people from looking at or posting anything on your profile. All your settings stay the same. You have the same friends, wall posts, pictures and so on, but no one is able to look at them when you're not logged in. This setting is becoming popular for those privacy-conscious users because it gives them ultimate control of their privacy settings on Facebook.

But why "super-logoff"? I've heard of a few of my friends who have deactivated their accounts for potential job opportunities. In this case, I understand the effort because it takes away the possibility of an employer seeing any pictures of information that could give you a bad reputation. I've even talked to some friends who have made "fake" accounts, with a profile that consists of only information that employers would be interested in. But otherwise, I'm not sure I see the point. The idea of Facebook is to connect with people in the sense that you share your information whenever and with whoever you want to see it. If you aren't comfortable with this, and do not want people looking at your profile when you're not logged in, what's the point? This article says that young adults like us are more active with their privacy settings. They understand that their information is public, and take the necessary precautions to keep certain things private. But for those users who aren't comfortable with keeping their information public at all, why bother with the "super-logoff"?

A lot of people commented on this article and here's one that I thought made a pretty good point:

"The best way to super log off is to not log in in the first place. I mean you either want to share your stuff or you don't".

If some people are so concerned with keeping their information public, and feel the need to "super-logoff" every day, what's the point in having a Facebook in the first place? What do you guys think?

Here's a link to the article if anyone wants to read it:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/social.media/11/12/facebook.superlogoff/index.html

6 comments:

  1. That is really strange. I've never heard of doing that. I can see deactivating when applying for jobs or grad school but every time you log off? Like you said, might as well just not have Facebook at all. Just seems really weird to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree - I do not see the point in this. If the only time people can see or post to my Facebook is the 30 min or so per day that I happen to be on Facebook, then they're never going to see my profile, and there's no point in being on Facebook. Imagine if everyone did this - it would really impact the usefulness of Facebook. At that point, e-mail would be more useful. At least you can send someone an e-mail even if they don't happen to be ON their e-mail at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a strange concept. My roommate does this now and wonders why people no one writes on her wall, invites her to things, or comments on her statuses. It's because we all forget she exists/assume she's still deactivated! She claimed originally it was because she wanted better grades and was spending too much time on it. But she is also up for a couple of jobs back home and I imagine that potential employers are looking. Especially since she's a college student at JMU and they are hours away. All the know about JMU is probably that we party. A lot. I can see why they would want to check out her profile but I don't see why she doesn't just leave it open. (She's not a party girl, although her profile picture is an old picture of her drinking.) I really think that comment has it right-people like my roommate shouldn't have logged in in the first place if they wanted to be so picky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that there is this option available, but I don't think there is a point in doing it every time you log off. I think people could use this option to not have publicity about a certain occasion. Therefore, deactivate it for a while, but it defeats the purpose of facebook if they prolong this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Damary. I think its a good thing to have in the case of certain occassions like job interviews, and what not, but on the whole, you either want to have a facebook or don't. What is the point of spending all this time of tailoring your profile, picture, friends, and likes if you want to keep it super private? I am all for privacy settings, but sometimes it just does not make sense to have something that is solely for the purpose of social interaction, sharing, and communicating if you are the only one who is going to see it. It is called a social "network" site for a reason. But thats just my opinion! I am sure I will find myself choosing to deactivate my account at some point so I dont necessarily think this is a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this. It reminds me of second life. For example when Im not there, I dont "exist" -- as a person who deactivates frequently I agree. Im really private, and when I went to get an internship I definitely took my facebook down! People miss judge facebook all the time and I dont like to be judged without facts. Facebook doesnt often provide facts.

    ReplyDelete