Monday, November 29, 2010

'Offlining' on Holidays

I found this article on CNN.com about a website promoting 'offlining.' Basically the goal of this website was to try to get people to put down their phones, computers, and other technologies and enjoy their Thanksgiving with their family. The website included a virtual pledge that people could sign, and e-cards that you could send to friends and family to try and get them to participate as well. This is the article if you want to read it:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/11/24/offline.thanksgiving/index.html

I thought it was really interesting. I mean is it really asking that much that we not use technology for one day when you are supposed to be enjoying time with your family and giving thanks for everything you have? But how many of us actually put down our cell phones for the whole day or didn't check anything online? I know that I used my phone much less than I do on a normal day, but I did use it. I think maybe it is a good idea to promote 'offlining,' just for the few major holidays there are in a year; with the exception of talking to family members who aren't there. That is a legitimate reason for using technology on a holiday in my opinion. But I do think that disconnecting ourselves from technology might make holidays better. It is annoying to have people constantly texting, tweeting, and checking their facebook when you're trying to have a nice meal or family time. Reading this article made me think about trying to do that for Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. I gotta admit...I used my cell phone, but that was to text my family back in Atlanta. And I was too busy cooking to get on the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we should try and spend quality time with our families and friends over the holidays and try to avoid using all of the technology at the same rate we typically use it. Over Thanksgiving break, my uncle was over and made a comment that all the kids were on their cell phones while they were over. I never really thought how rude it is to company. I usually leave my phone in my room to avoid this, but I definitely did not notice how bad it looks. I think its important to give technology a rest when with family, regardless of if its a holiday time or not. At the same time, its difficult to make this adjustment because our society is so used to having this as a daily part of their life. Personally, I will make a better effort to be mindful of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think this a big theme that is increasing every year. this year for thanksgiving, i had some family visiting, and it seemed that almost everyone was using some form of connected communication at some point. for example, my cousin (16) was facebooking while we were watching a movie, my aunts were playing scrabble against each other on their phones and ipads with my mom, and my younger cousin (10) was playing his game boy a lot. I'm not innocent either, playing my xbox, but i'm afraid of what thanksgiving or other holidays will be like for future generations.. will we even talk to each other? something to think about

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting and made me think. i was visiting family in NC who I don't get to see, but for some reason I was also caught up in texting my friends from school and home. I want to be connected, but I also want to be where I am. BUT- I do want to make an effort to put down my phone. I know for me at least if I grab lunch with someone, it is so annoying to have made plans, probably hard to find a time that worked for both of you, and then someone is texting. I mean didn't we both say we were so excited to see each other? Then let's spend time with each other! I am guilty too, but working on it!!

    ReplyDelete